Last night at our small group we were talking about ways that we connect with God as individuals with unique personalities - via nature, service, intellect, art, tradition, etc. I was just thinking of how so much music - both "christian" and "non-christian" - has been an avenue for that in my life for many years.
So I do have a newest obsession and can't help but blog about it! Typically my style is anything that is acoustic and soul-searching and Jon Foreman's latest EP's are no exception. We started following his solo music a while back when we saw him play (by surprise) at Hotel Cafe in Hollywood. He is best known for being the frontman of Switchfoot, though his solo stuff has a different sound to me. Just to give you a hint of how sweet it was, he played acoustic and was accompanied by a cellist. Yep. Told you he was awesome.

Anyway, he is releasing 4 EP's inspired by each season and 3 of the 4 are currently available on iTunes. And I strongly recommend all 3 (each are 6 songs) as they are all amazing! And I'm also a big fan of the cover art. Well done.
Today I have been especially gripped by one song from the Spring release called "Your Love is Strong". Whew - it's a good one. Here are a couple of favorite lyrics that are simple but have been resonating with me today so strongly:
"Give me the food to live through today."
"Why do I worry? Why do I freak out? God knows what I need. You know what I need."
"Two things you told me. That you are strong and you love me."
I'll spare you long-winded rants about each of these simple statements but what simple and powerful truths in our lives! I know you'll all be shocked by this but I seriously have listened to this song like 20 times today. I'm such a fan of the "repeat" feature! No such thing as too much of a good thing!
So if you have $1 to spend on iTunes, definitely go for Your Love is Strong from Spring.
If you have $4 to spend, my top 4 are:
1) Your Love is Strong - Spring
2) Southbound Train - Fall
3) I am Still Running - Winter
4) Cure for Pain - Fall
If you have $15 to spend, get them all! Totally worth it!
It looks like you can hear all of Spring on Jon's MySpace page so check them out there. Let me know what you think!
5 comments:
hey mary!
these are so awesome!
i have all three and can't wait for summer!
you have good taste in music!
--Josh
thanks for introducing me! i love it!
I totally love the "repeat" also. Except I usually wear myself out. I'll play my newest fave 20 times and then I can't listen to it anymore. Thanks for the tip though, I'll definitely check these out!
yay! i actually was just thinking last week while listening to his cd that you hadn't done any more music reviews in awhile. and your love is strong is my favorite on that cd.
Love it! Too bad you can't make commission. Did you know I met him a few weeks ago? AMAZING!
Post a Comment